maltabiennale.art 2024 will be held in Malta. Notably, an island that has been challenged in finding its place in existing histories of contemporary Western and non-Western art due to its periods of colonisation and location; that is, being located in the centre of the Mediterranean and on the periphery of Europe.
Who may Apply?
This call is intended for both local and international artists wishing to present projects in accordance with the theme of this year’s Biennale.
General Submission Information
- Artists can apply from any stage of their career (emerging or established) and from any nation.
- Artists can apply with one or more artworks.
- Submitted artworks can be site-specific or from any year of an artist’s career.
- Accepted artistic media include all forms of visual art: installation, paintings, sculptures, photography and video art.
- Throughout the opening ceremony and beyond, the artist has the opportunity to showcase performance artworks. The presence of these artworks will continue throughout the biennale by exhibiting video documentation that is associated with the work at one of the primary locations. It is important to note that this contribution will still be taken into account within the budget of the €13,000 grant.
- Visual arts are at the heart of the maltabiennale.art, although we are also interested in interdisciplinary projects.
- Collaborative works are welcome and eligible for submission. When submitting the work, please ensure to include the names of all participating artists in the designated artist name field (for example, artist name & artist name &…). If you have a collaborative group name, kindly provide it in the bio. In this case the grant will be given to the group (max €13,000)
Responses to this call are to be submitted via the online application form found on www.maltabiennale.art by not later than noon (CET) on Friday 25th August 2023. Applications received before Friday 25th August will be analysed by the curatorial team. During this phase the curatorial team may ask the applicant for clarification.
All submissions will be acknowledged and will be dealt with in strictest confidence. Late submissions will not be accepted.
What Support will Be Provided to the Artists?
maltabiennale.art shall provide the following support to the artists:
- Access to exhibit in a World Heritage Site.
- The opportunity to be part of and exhibit in an international programme.
- Consultancy services for shipping, insurances and accommodation.
- Technical assistance for the installation through the agencies’ offices.
- Technical assessment of the exhibition by the agencies’ offices in order to verify compliance with the current Maltese security and safety regulations, and with the restrictions related to historic buildings.
- A basic electrical and general lighting system.
- Internet connection.
- Daytime surveillance of outdoor spaces during closing hours of the exhibition.
- Night surveillance of outdoor areas.
- Exhibition signage.
- Marketing and promotion of the Biennale – including the marketing and promotion of individual artists.
- A general catalogue covering the entirety of the Biennale.
- The maltabiennale.art will be included within an arts and culture mobile application which will have a special maltabiennale.art category.
- A grant to cover costs for art production and to cover travel and accommodation for artists traveling to Malta from abroad.
Participants Financial Support
Application Process and Conditions
- Submitting a response to this call is in no way a guarantee that the applying artists will be selected for the shortlisting nor/or pitching sessions, nor does it prevent any future applicants from responding to future procurement opportunities.
- The issuance of this call for artists does not constitute a commitment to issue a request for bids, award a contract, or pay any costs incurred in the preparation of a response to this call.
- Any clarifications and addenda updates regarding this call will be published on www.maltabiennale.art.
- Proposals with missing information, as specified in this call, will be deemed ineligible.
- Artists who wish to apply must submit a copy of their passport –specifically of the page with their identity and passport number. European Union citizens may just submit a copy of their Identiy Card.
Responses are to be straightforward, clear, concise and specific to the information requested. For submissions to be considered complete, applicants must provide all the requested information mentioned in this document as well as any other comments, observations or suggestions which may potentially assist MUŻA in shortlisting the applicants.
Applications are to be submitted using the online form